Wednesday, September 25, 2013

The Beginning of an Adventure.

Here we go again....an attempt for me to blog! I am determined this time to keep up with it, and share my journey, so one day I can look back on this and remember all of the fun that I had.  I know this is something that I want to do...and as it may not be regular (like an every Sunday I'll post, kind of blog) I will do my best to keep on top of it. It might not be exciting and have many posts until January. That is because.............

IN JANUARY I WILL BE MOVING TO NEW ZEALAND TO BE AN AU PAIR FOR A YEAR!

So January is when it will get more exciting! I can hardly believe it.....I still don't think that it feels real yet. I don't even think that it feels real to others, like my family, yet either. Most people know that I will be doing this, and everyone seems to be very supportive! I will be graduating from UF in December with my Bachelor's degree and come January, I will be moving to the other side of the world to be living with a wonderful family in Auckland, New Zealand. They have 5 children, and the mom stays at home, but used to be a physiotherapist, and the dad is an eye surgeon.  The kids range in age from 4 to 12, and the oldest boy will be going to boarding school next year, so I will mostly only be around 4 of the children. They live in Parnell, which is part of Auckland on the North Island of New Zealand. They also have homes they visit in Omaha Beach, which is north of Auckland, and also Queenstown which is on the South Island of New Zealand. I will be arriving in January which is summer there, and will begin my year in Omaha Beach with them.

Here is the family, with their grandparents on the right, and their current au pair Faith on the top left. 


I came across the term au pair one day...and not really familiar with this word, I did some research.

An au pair is, "a domestic assistant from a foreign country working for, and living as part of, a host family. Typically au pairs take on a share of the family's responsibility for childcare as well as some housework, and receive a small monetary allowance for personal use." 

Wow....was that a good idea. I would have never known this opportunity existed if it were not for that one run-in for me. I can travel, live safely with a family, watch their children and experience a new place?! Count me in! I then joined AuPairWorld where I was able to set up an Au Pair profile and view families profiles that were looking for an au pair. It was nice because it would only show you families in countries you were interested in, and with start dates that matched yours. I was interested in Australia, New Zealand, and the UK, for the most part, and was almost set on Australia before I found this great family in New Zealand.  My Uncle Keith visited New Zealand last year and I remember seeing some of his photos - they were breathtaking! For me, it was about finding the right fit for a family, and then factoring in the location...making sure it was in a place I could see myself for a year, with a family that I will feel like a member of.  I also was excited about finding a family that I liked that had kids that were a bit older and in school.  While I love caring for babies and toddlers, that is what I have always done for the most part (at church and babysitting for families), and I've always wanted more experience with kids that are school-age. I skyped a few times with Andrea (the mom) and Faith (the current au pair) and just had the best feeling about this family! I was so hoping that they chose me, as I really felt like I would fit in well with them. After a few Skype sessions, tons of questions back and forth, Andrea talking to a couple of references, as well as my mom, she informed me that she would like me to join their family as their au pair in 2014! I was so thrilled and I am so excited to join the Hadden's family!

While I am very excited for this new experience, I would be lying if I said I didn't have any concerns.  I will have to learn to drive on the left side of the road....in a manual car at that! That is honestly probably my biggest concern of them all! Everyone start praying for my safety now ;) I am sure after much practice I will be just fine though. I will have to figure out a whole new area,  I will also be the furthest from all of my family than I ever have been.  Thankfully with the modern technology we have, it won't be hard to stay in touch via FaceTime/Skype and iMessage and while I will miss them, I hope that they will come visit me ;)

Current Checklist...
Find an amazing family to au pair for......CHECK
Apply for and receive my passport......CHECK
Apply for and receive a Working Holiday Visa for New Zealand.....CHECK

What's next?
Look at my calendar, watch air fares, and BOOK MY FLIGHT!

I can't wait to share with you this journey of mine from Florida to New Zealand between now and all of 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment